-
March 19th, 2004, 12:20 AM
#1
Inactive Member
What of all the Atec HF drivers had the tangerine phase guide installed at one time or another? Is it truly "All THAT" with regard to Hi-Fi only applications? I have a set of 808-8As with the "radial" machined phase plug. I'm teetering on using these in a speaker build but my initial listening tests and what I've read here and other places confirm the mid-rangy harshness that these kind of drivers can have. 2 watt SET is what I have pretty much fallen in love with amp wise so that is a given. But the idea of a two way horn loaded system where the HF driver covers down below 1KHz intrigues me to no end. Also understand that the horn selection with these Altec HF has differing effects on the "signature" of the driver. Peaky mid-range can be annoying to even the most ardent horn lover and I tend to like a lot of presence and "weight" in the mid-range. Can you only get smooth midrange at the expense of the high extention or low-mid range "grunt", or can all be had from one driver? Is the 288 with tangerine phase guide the ticket or can I achieve the same thing with the 808-8As since I'm using lower power? Someone tell this neophyte where to begin to understand the Hi-Fi applications of vintage Altec drivers!!! Which ones are best? Smoothest? Highest HF extension?
-
March 19th, 2004, 11:52 AM
#2
Inactive Member
All the altec horn drivers are very efficient. As, they were originally designed to fill an auditorium with sound using only flea powered SE amps. For your purposed wattage amp, I would suggest doing what I am, very happily, doing. Get some 288 K (or L) 16 ohm drivers and use CD horns. You want regret it.
Of course the best low power SE amp can be found at:
http://www.transcendentsound.com/single%20ended.htm
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks